BRAVO 20

Monday, March 10, 2008

Pecha Kucha


I've been invited to speak at Pecha Kucha Brussels on March 20th. Pecha Kucha, which is Japanese for "the sound of conversation", is a series of show-and-tell events for all kinds of creative people. What is peculiar is the strict format: every presenter needs to stick to 20 images which can be discussed for only 20 seconds each. Presentations are therefore, by the rules of arithmetic, limited to 6' 40". The format was launched a few years ago in Tokyo and has now spread all over the world. The two previous editions in Brussels attracted a crowd of more than 300 people. 

I had the choice to present myself as a professional scenario planner/futurist or as an amateur photographer and I chose the latter. Not without trepidations, however. The first edition featured Paolo Pellizzari as a photographer and, to be honest, I don't know whether there is much more to tell about photography than he did. 

I'm going to try and tell something (very simple) about my "mountain photography" portfolio.

The aim will be to make the mountain "visible" again. This I will do by a) not talking about mountains (I am planning not to use the word "mountain" once), b) by showing how photographers today (Axel Hütte, Sonja Braas, Micahel Schabel, Walter Niedermayr) play a hide-and-seek game when showing us these geological phenomena (hence dodging the issues), and c) by showing how I am trying to get them back into the picture (quite literally). 

I hope it's going to work ...  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home