BRAVO 20

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Pola


Yesterday I picked up my very first polaroid camera. Finally! I have been eyeing this kind of thing for a long time. Polaroid's offbeat colours and the soft textures are so lovely.

It's a Polaroid 340 camera, supposedly dating from 1966. It's almost as old as I am myself. It comes with a rangefinder and an automatic exposure measurement. You just have to adjust the ISO setting and there you go. Piece of cake! It works with the 669 and 690 (higher saturation) colour emulsions and the 664 (100 asa) and 672 (400 asa) b&w sheets. You put in a pack of 10 sheets at a time. The camera went for 29 euros from a shop in the Ravenstein gallery, fresh 3.8V battery included. The seller has been in business for more than 40 years and looks forward to closing the shop in a month's time. I bought two (dated) boxes of film with it for 10 euro and was as happy as a kid. The thing works great. It's a lot of fun and very inspiring.

Picture above is one of the very first shots. It shows my colleague Kim who is looking slightly amused at the silly contraption that is pointed at his face. It has been taken on a dated sheet of 669 Polaroid film.

2 Comments:

  • A pola! ;o)

    My parents have use one for a very long time. At this time, i was little interseted in photography. So i have use the pola very, very seldom. I thinking, like you, about a used pola. My personal intersets are the 84, 88 and 87 pola films. So that i look for a M485 Polaroid camera.

    By Blogger Marko, at 3:36 PM  

  • But i think the Polaroid Pinhole 80 is the more funny camera (and less expensive..) and i can use also these films.

    By Blogger Marko, at 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home