BRAVO 20

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Margins


I'm fully absorbed by my work these days. Shuttling up and down to London, to Brussels. Spending an awful lot of time on trains these days. Mostly I don't even have camera with me. The job is all-absorbing. Photography is in the margins only. Two weeks ago I went to Paris Photo. An impressive show in terms of sheer size. But, surprisingly perhaps, with Japan as a guest country I was less enthralled than with Italy last year. Lots of Araki, and then other, not very striking contemporary stuff (Yamamoto, amongst others; I really don't like it). I didn't see much of the classics (there was some Hosoe, some Fukase, some Moriyama but not much). There was no discovery as with Raffaella Mariniello last year. I bought one book from one of the five or six Japanese publishers present at the fair. The workmanship of their productions is always quite marvelous.

I was happy to meet Hans Bol and his wife in Paris. I also bumped into Chae, a Korean photographer who was on the Magnum course.

Other things that happened in the past two weeks: I submitted a new batch of 12 framed pictures for exhibition in the EU Commission headquarters (Berlaymont) in Brussels. I sent in a portfolio of 10 pictures to RĂ©ponses Photo for a competition under the banner of "Visions d'Europe". And I compiled a book (15 spreads) that will be printed by Spectrum Photo in Brighton. It was actually part of the Magnum workshop: every participant receives a book with work produced in that week. But I didn't like my photos from the workshop so I filled it with Pakistan images. We'll see. I also received a batch of Blurb holiday albums that have been printed with a disgusting green cast. I hope they are willing to take back the order of 6 books.

I didn't do any shooting lately. Just 3 (120) rolls of snaps in Paris. I used chromogenic Fuji film but the lab put it erroneously in D76 so the negatives came out all underexposed and with a garish colour cast. There is not much to save. The picture above is one of the best (taken with the SWC).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home