BRAVO 20

Sunday, November 09, 2008

A day with L.C.

Last weekend I spent a day with Lorenzo C. I took my little Blurb book, a set of 65 very small square pictures to play around with, and a stack of photo books to discuss ("Dog Days Bogotha by Soth, "Errance" by Depardon, "Nage Libre" by Wendelski, "Temps Brassé" by Janssens, "Go Away Closer" by Singh, "Eden" by Jodice). We also took time to look and discuss his own work. I savoured every minute of our discussion. Lorenzo is a wonderful mentor: very serious, open, generous, honest, uncompromising, deeply reflective, articulate, and a great photographic craftsman. 

Regarding my own work he is learning me to be less tied up about my "projects", to find a way to create a space in which I can work freely and playfully. Or, if it's part of my deepest impulses to define the parameters within which I work, he is learning me to relinquish control at a meta-level. If I am sensitive to it, the essence of my photographic endeavors will emerge through the prism of the different projects I am and will be working on. I just need to take time and let it happen. 

Lorenzo's own work is very powerful. His 250-picture slideshow - a result of 10 years of photography - is confrontational but redeeming. Its scope is epic, almost biblical. The pictures breath timelessness. It is almost impossible to say they have been taken in the 20th century. Age-old themes and questions echo throughout his work. Viewing the slideshow is akin to reading a Dostojevski novel in a single sitting. I don't know many photographers who would be able to create such a powerful body of work. 

Picture above was taken on the Saturday evening: Lorenzo and Gilda. 
Taken with the Bronica RF645 with Tri-X 320 @ 800 asa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home