BRAVO 20

Friday, August 18, 2006

Noctiluxurious

In a previous posting I hinted at the fact that I have recently acquired a Noctilux lens for my Leica M. For afficionados, the Noctilux is a fabled object: the most luminous and most expensive lens for the M-series cameras. I have been interested in this lens for a while, but found it difficult to make up my mind. There are relatively few of these lenses around - none of my Leica friends has one - and it is not easy to get an idea of how it performs. The web offers, as usual, a cacophony of mixed opinions on the subject and very few good pictures to judge the merits of this piece of equipment on.

Until I hit upon the work of Tommy Oshima on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommyoshima). He is superbly sensitive photographer and a master with the Noctilux. I was sold immediately on the gorgeous look of this lens at full opening. And I was lucky enough to find one at a remarkably reasonable price at Leica bei Meister in Hamburg.

I have shot only two rolls with the Noctilux, but I am even more thrilled with the creative possibilities it offers. It can be used at all openings but at f1.0 it produces an astonishingly luxurious look with creamy bokeh, a glowing luminosity and a beautifully mellow sharpness.

The 'lux fits best on my black M4. I must admit it is not easy to focus. An M3 would probably be more comfortable. But I'm attached to my M4 and I'll stick with it. The first few rolls have been shot on Fuji Reala colour emulsion. The picture above shows my son Witold whilst reading on holiday. I hope to show more Noctilux pictures in due time.

1 Comments:

  • Hey you have also found tommy oshima. I have also contact him via email. He has write me back a half story :o) A great guy! Over tommy oshima i have found to the rangefinder photography.

    You have sink your money in a noctilux :o) I have purchased a Zeiss Biogon 35mm and a Rolleiflex 3.5

    --Marko

    By Blogger Marko, at 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home