BRAVO 20

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Results of my first 8x10 excursion are out ...

This is (a section of) the very first frame to come out of my 8x10 camera. Today I developed it at Pol's darkroom (mine will be finished only in a few weeks). Developing sheet films in trays was a first for me too (admittedly, I've "seen" Hans Bol do it a couple of times). I put the Efke 100 in D76 for 10 minutes at 20°C and the result was a bunch of low-contrast, underdeveloped negatives. Development time will have to be increased with 2 or 3 minutes. And I may have to resort to much more vigorous agitation whilst the sheets are in the developing tray.

Another thing to watch for is scratches. Efke is a reputedly very sensitive emulsion and I will need to be even more careful in manipulating the sheets next time.

The final issue is dust. It looks like my filmholders need another good cleaning ...

But apart from these trifles (;-) I am rather satisfied with this initiation in the world of 8x10. Every step down the road makes this format less intimidating. With some practice I am sure I can master this routine and start to use the format in a more creative way.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home