BRAVO 20

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Capitals revisited


There's momentum again behind the EU Capitals project. After the big push at the end of 2005, I felt relieved that it was all over. After having explored more than 20 cities, it became increasingly difficult to become excited when looking through the Horizon's viewfinder. This year I only visited Sofia. And there is still Bucharest to go.

A few weeks ago, however, I started to think again about my book project. And after having read an article in B&W Magazine on Eddie Ephraum's Self Publishing Solutions, I decided to get it going. After bouncing some ideas back and forth, we settled on a book with a selection of 27 pictures only (1 per capital city). It will be bound in an accordeon binding (a "leporello" binding as the Germans call it). (I know it's Koudelka's trademark!). Work is now in hand to produce a couple of dummy books. I would like to have the book finished by March 2007.

There are other Capital developments. Next year, at the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Treaty of Rome, I will exhibit a selection from the portfolio in the Maison de l'Europe in Brussels. This is, in fact, the famous Art Déco Bibliothèque Solvay in the Parc Léopold, right next to the European Parliament building.

Last but not least I have been invited to lend my portfolio for an indefinite period to embellish the walls of EC President Barroso's cabinet. That invitation was a real surprise and remarkable stroke of luck. I am now busy selecting and printing an appropriate portfolio to show. I'll be including, as much as I can, photos that are emblematic of their respective cities. In fact, it is nice to go through all the negs again and see whether there is anything I have overlooked. The picture above was of a hitherto unscanned and unprinted negative, taken on a Sunday Ljubljana market.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home